Rich, bold and savoury, this Vegan Reishi Bolognese is reminiscent of the Italian classic we love. The filling combines our Shitake Mushrooms, walnuts, carrots and onions for a meaty mince that is hearty and satisfying.
2 1/2 cups dried Shitake mushrooms, (soaked for 15 minutes in hot water)
1 cup walnuts
2 medium carrots, peeled
1 small onion, quartered
4 garlic cloves , smashed
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
1/2 teaspoon crushed red peppers
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 cup vegetable broth
1 28 oz ( 796 ml) can crushed Organic tomatoes
1/4 teaspoon BRAINFOOD REISHI MUSHROOM POWDER
1 large rosemary sprig
10 cups spiralized or shredded butternut squash (use food processor)
1/4 cup vegan parmesan cheese
- Use food processor and pulse mushrooms til finely chopped. Transfer to large bowl. Then process walnuts, carrots, onion and garlic.
- Use large deep dish frying pan, heat the oil.
- Add the fennel seeds and red pepper and toast on moderate heat about 30 seconds. Add all chopped vegetables, add salt and pepper and
- Cook until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the broth and canned tomatoes and BRAINFOOD REISHI MUSHROOM POWDER.
- Add rosemary sprig and cook on low, covered. Simmer about 20 minutes.
- Discard rosemary.
Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil, then season generously with salt. Cook the butternut squash noodles until tender, about 2 minutes then drain.
Divide the squash noodles into 4 bowls and top with the bolognese sauce . Garish with cheese